Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

If you are concerned about Coronavirus go to the Australian Government Department of Health website for the latest medical advice and official reports by clicking here

COVID-Safe Plan - Community and Businesses

Community Services and Businesses that were previously directed to close and now reopened must complete a COVID-Safe Plan before they can reopen.

This Plan will outline how your staff and patrons can be kept safe from COVID-19. The plan must be completed and made available at your business premises. If your business was allowed to reopen during Step 1 of South Australia’s Roadmap to Recovery, you must complete a Plan before 1 June.

If your committee or group has not completed the COVID-Safe Plan, or does not have the plan available at your premises when requested, you can be fined up to $5000 on the sport for non-compliance, or face prosecution.

Please find the link to the COVID-19-Safe Plan Form here -

For more information, please contact the SA COVID-19 Information line - 1800 253 787 offers local information and advice on general COVID-19 information for South Australians. Operates from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm every day.

Council services

Effective 30 March 2020, the District Council of Franklin Harbour has updated a range of measures to its operations. These measures are in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, to ensure the health and safety of its staff and the community, while providing the continuity of essential services.

Details of this are set out below:

Council Office

For the safety of staff and the community all enquiries are encouraged to be directed to staff via phone or email, if you wish to contact the Council Office please call 08 8629 2019 or email

Playgrounds, parks and reserves

As of 4 May playgrounds and skate parks are open, we remind users of these facilities that social distancing practices must be adhered to.

Visitor Information Centre, Craft Shop and Historical Museum

The Visitor Information Centre and Craft Shop are all closed until further notice.

Visitor Information can be located at

Public Toilets & Showers

All public toilets and showers are open.

Refuse Site

The refuse site remains open and can be accessed by the general public at the normal opening times, please ensure social distancing is undertaken at all times whilst attending this site.

This information will continue to be updated, last updated 10.30 am 2 June 2020.

Dismiss alert


Rates Frequently Asked Questions

Why do we pay Council rates?

The District Council of Franklin Harbour is responsible for maintaining community assets which include local roads, bridges, footpaths, stormwater drainage, land and buildings.  In addition, we provide services for the benefit of our residents such as waste management and street lighting.  There are also services that councils are required to provide under various Acts of Parliament such as Planning and Development and Dog and Cat Management.

Council rates are the main source of funds to maintain these services and facilities.

How are my rates calculated?

All land within a Council area, except for land specifically exempt (e.g. crown land, Council occupied land and other land prescribed in the Local Government Act 1999 - refer section 147 of the Act) is rateable.

The Local Government Act provides for a Council to raise revenue for the broad purposes of the Council through a general rate, which applies to all rateable properties, or through differential general rates, which apply to classes of properties. The Council also raises revenue through fees and charges.

Valuations & Objections

The Council adopts the valuations made by the Valuer-General as provided to the Council. If a ratepayer is dissatisfied with the valuation made by the Valuer-General then the ratepayer may object to the Valuer-General in writing, within 60 days of receiving the notice of the valuation, explaining the basis for the objection, provided they have not:

(a)   previously received a notice of this valuation under the Local Government Act 1999, in which case the objection period is 60 days from the receipt of the first notice, or

(b)   previously had an objection to the valuation considered by the Valuer-General.

The address of the Valuer-General is:
State Valuation Office
GPO Box 1354                                                                     Email
ADELAIDE  SA 5001                                                                      Ph: 1300 653 345

Please note that the Council has no role in the valuation of a property.  It is also important to note that the lodgement of an objection does not change the due date for the payment of rates.

Payment of rates

Quarterly payments due:

  • 15 September
  • 15 December
  • 15 March
  • 15 June

A rates notice will be sent to ratepayers 30 days prior to each due date.  A ratepayer may also pay their rates in a single instalment due by September of that year.

The Local Government Act 1999 provides that councils impose a penalty of a 2% fine on any payment for rates that are received late.  A payment that continues to be late is then charged an interest rate, set each year according to a formula in the Act, for each month it continues to be late.

Any ratepayer who may, or is likely to, experience difficulty with meeting the standard payment arrangements is invited to contact Council on (08) 8629 2019 to discuss making alternative payment arrangements.

Concessions & Remissions

The South Australian Government provides a range of household concessions for eligible South Australians.  Concessions are available only on the principal place of residence.

Cost of Living ConcessionThe Cost of Living Concession is available to assist those on low or fixed income to help with the cost of living expenses such as electricity, water, gas, medical bills and/or council rates. There is a separate concession entitlement for Council Community Waste Water Schemes (CWMS)
To check your eligibility, contact the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DSCI) Concessions Hotline 1800 307 758 or visit

Remission & Postponement of Rates

Section 182 of the Local Government Act permits the Council, on the application of a ratepayer, to partially or wholly remit rates or to postpone rates, on the basis of hardship. Where a ratepayer is suffering hardship in paying rates he/she is invited to contact Council on 8629 2019 to discuss the matter.  All enquiries are treated confidentially.

In assessing each application Council will give consideration to the following:

  • previous documented Council decisions;
  • the ratepayer's ability to pay;
  • the financial circumstances of the applicant where extreme hardship can be demonstrated.

Update your Details

How do I change my name on my Rates Notice?

If you have changed your name that appears on your Rates Notice (example, by way of marriage or Deed Poll), you must contact the Land Services Group.

For more information, visit, call 08 8226 3983 or email

Change of Address

Property Owner

If your current postal address is different from the address shown on the Rates Notice please notify Council immediately. Notification can be made on the Change of Mailing Address form post to PO Box 71, Cowell SA 5602 or email to

Managing Agent

Council will accept a letter or email from the Managing Agent signed by the property owner on behalf of the property owner to change the forwarding address. Notification can be made via post to PO Box 71, Cowell SA 5602 or email to