Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

If you are concerned about Coronavirus go to the Australian Government Department of Health website for the latest medical advice and official reports by clicking here

COVID-Safe Plan - Community and Businesses

Community Services and Businesses that were previously directed to close and now reopened must complete a COVID-Safe Plan before they can reopen.

This Plan will outline how your staff and patrons can be kept safe from COVID-19. The plan must be completed and made available at your business premises. If your business was allowed to reopen during Step 1 of South Australia’s Roadmap to Recovery, you must complete a Plan before 1 June.

If your committee or group has not completed the COVID-Safe Plan, or does not have the plan available at your premises when requested, you can be fined up to $5000 on the sport for non-compliance, or face prosecution.

Please find the link to the COVID-19-Safe Plan Form here -

For more information, please contact the SA COVID-19 Information line - 1800 253 787 offers local information and advice on general COVID-19 information for South Australians. Operates from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm every day.

Council services

Effective 30 March 2020, the District Council of Franklin Harbour has updated a range of measures to its operations. These measures are in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, to ensure the health and safety of its staff and the community, while providing the continuity of essential services.

Details of this are set out below:

Council Office

For the safety of staff and the community all enquiries are encouraged to be directed to staff via phone or email, if you wish to contact the Council Office please call 08 8629 2019 or email

Playgrounds, parks and reserves

As of 4 May playgrounds and skate parks are open, we remind users of these facilities that social distancing practices must be adhered to.

Visitor Information Centre, Craft Shop and Historical Museum

The Visitor Information Centre and Craft Shop are all closed until further notice.

Visitor Information can be located at

Public Toilets & Showers

All public toilets and showers are open.

Refuse Site

The refuse site remains open and can be accessed by the general public at the normal opening times, please ensure social distancing is undertaken at all times whilst attending this site.

This information will continue to be updated, last updated 10.30 am 2 June 2020.

Dismiss alert

Fire Prevention



  • Slashing - Adequate water (minimum 500 litres) and a suitable fire unit present in the area being slashed.
  • Burning in the township of Cowell, Port Gibbon or Lucky Bay is not permitted during the Fire Danger Season.
  • Roadside burning or clearing is only permitted with the approval from DEWNR Ph: 8303 9777.


Conditional Permit Burning Season (Schedule 9 Permits)

No burning without a permit issued by a Council Authorised Person, under the Fire Emergency Services Act 2005.

When do I need a Permit?

A permit to light a fire in the open in the Fire Danger Season is required when any burning off is undertaken and when a fire is lit on the ground (Refer to the CFS website and the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005 as severe penalties apply).

Where can I get a permit?

A permit can be obtained from the Council's Fire Prevention Officer-Permits (when available) or any other Authorised Fire Prevention Officer-Permits if authorised to do so under the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005. Please contact Council office to obtain further details.

Any conditions under which the permit is issued must be complied with (severe penalties apply for non compliance to the permit conditions).

All conditions attached to the permit are stated within the permit or on the reverse side of the permit and must be adhered to when lighting a fire under such a permit. It is the Permit Holders responsibility to check the local conditions at all times prior to burning.

Once you  have received your permit (subject to approval), it is still a requirement for you to contact Council on a daily basis if you are going to burn off under the permit (please refer to the conditions within the permit). The Permit Holder is responsible for contacting Adelaide Fire on 8204 3782 immediately prior to commencing the permit burn.


  1. Fires must not be lit on any Fire Ban Day.
  2. Council must be notified prior to the intended burn off.
  3. Grain harvesting - please refer to the Grain Harvesting Code of Practice brochure on the CFS website.
  4. SAPOL under the OPERATION NOMAD patrols will be notified of any fire.



When a Total Fire Ban has been issued you should make sure your BUSHFIRE ACTION PLAN is in place, remember PREPARE. ACT. SURVIVE.

Call 1300 362 361 for 24 hour advice on fire restrictions and fire bans.

The Country Fire Services website can provide valuable information regarding fire restrictions during periods of TOTAL FIRE BAN and throughout the fire danger season, fact sheets are also available from the site (or Council) or contact Council on 8629 2019 during normal office hours for further information.


Throughout the Fire Danger Season if a Total Fire Ban has not been declared, you may use any barbecue or campfire for cooking but there are conditions that you must follow. The fire must be contained in a barbecue or cooker, a properly constructed fire place of a 30 centimetre deep trench, not more than 1 square metre in area. As well, you must have cleared away all flammable material for a 4 metre space around and above it. While it is alight you must have a responsible person to stay with the fire (non drinking person) and have with you sufficient water or other appropriate extinguishing agent and appropriate fire equipment that is in good working condition.

Burning Rubbish

The use of incinerators and open fires for waste disposal on domestic premises is prohibited.






Main Street, Cowell SA  5602

8629 2004

0428 618 175


10 O’Connell Street, Cowell SA 5602

8629 2028

0429 808 531



0427 451 087

TURNER, Geoffrey B

Esplanade, Cowell SA 5602

8629 2398

0427 717 907

Council’s ability to give permission to burn in the open

Councils will continue to manage burning in their area and determine the approach that is best for their commuinities.

Under the Air Quality Policy a ‘permit’ includes a notice in writing to a person or a notice published in a newspaper circulating with in a council area and on a council’s website. This allows Councils the flexibility to issue permits and general notices to regulate burning of agricultural or forestry waste, burning off vegetation for fire prevention control or to allow burning of vegetation for any other purpose.